NaPoWriMo Poem Day 18 ~~ Rain Flowers

Spring brings soft rain
winter ends its pain
flowers in glorious color
stand tall and reign

New green grass grows
rain never slows
it’s refreshing drink is savored
only a matter of time I know

Soon color to the land will come
flowers, shrubs, gardens, so awesome
Windows opened wide, no longer
will I be sunk in winter’s boredom

I rejoice in rain clouds in the skies
as birds compete on current highs
Leaves show green on the trees
as if they’ve been brushed with dyes

So let it rain, let it pour all day
I will no longer be winters prey
Gray and gloomy it might be
soon rain flowers will gently sway

This poem is called a rubaiyat. It’s from today’s prompt from the NaPoWriMo website

Today they challenge you to write a ruba’i. What’s that? Well, it’s a Persian form — multipe stanzas in the ruba’i form is a rubaiyat, as in The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. Basically, a ruba’i is a four-line stanza, with a rhyme scheme of AABA. Robert Frost’s famous poem Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening uses this rhyme scheme. You can write a poem composed of one ruba’i, or try your hand at more, for a rubaiyat.

15 thoughts on “NaPoWriMo Poem Day 18 ~~ Rain Flowers

1. summerstommy2 April 18, 2014 / 3:40 pm

You have created beautiful images Jackie, a lovely poem of the emerging spring and all it brings into your world.

2. TooFullToWrite April 18, 2014 / 4:47 pm

Lots of lovely lines in this one but my favourite is the dyes one. Makes me wish I used the rhyming structure now since you’ve incorporated it so well.

• JackieP April 18, 2014 / 5:17 pm

thanks! It wasn’t easy to do, lol rhyming is not my thing. But thank you for the nice comment.

3. Tiny April 18, 2014 / 6:21 pm

Nice poem and a fitting picture! Spring in the air. Have a wonderful Easter weekend. Hugs!

4. silentlyheardonce April 22, 2014 / 1:57 pm

Well done and bravo on your steadfast determination with the NaPoWriMo.

• JackieP April 22, 2014 / 3:00 pm

thank you Kim, sometimes it’s hard going, but I’m stubborn lol

5. insearchofitall April 26, 2014 / 9:10 pm

I’m going to keep all your poems and the information on what kind they are. Quite a lesson in these. Thank you.

• JackieP April 26, 2014 / 9:50 pm

I have learned a lot this month. I’m glad you enjoyed them so much :-)

6. peeversandpenguins November 17, 2014 / 12:56 pm

Beautiful photograph and poem. I can small the fresh spring rain.

• JackieP November 17, 2014 / 1:44 pm

Thank you so much. I love the rain.

7. litadoolan December 11, 2014 / 12:20 pm

I love the concept of Winter ending Spring, it’s bringing a freshness to this season (just heard we have a big load of Snow on its way!)
    Your poetry is beautiful.

Breathe Your Words To Me

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s