Are writing prompts a useful exercise, or do you find them to be too limiting and/or hokey?
An interesting question posed today by the Daily Prompt. I’m so glad they asked!
Personally I like the daily prompts. It helps when I’m in a writing slump. I don’t do every single one of them. I pick and choose which ones I want to do.
Some of the prompts I’m not fond of. Those that want us bloggers to pat ourselves on the back too much are just not my cup of tea. For example, the other day they wanted us to write about the movie that would be made about our lives and who would play us. Eh, skipped that one.
I like the ones that make us think, give us some challenge in writing. I don’t mind silly sometimes, but not the self grandiose stuff.
I’m just not that interesting!
Another reason I like the daily prompts is because they can be a great jumping off place! I mean it gives me ideas in other ways. The prompt might be for one thing, but my mind takes it in another and another and …….well see what I mean? It can be a wonderful starting point for something completely different.
So please Daily Prompt keep them coming! I enjoy them, not only writing them but reading what so many other good writers do with them. Just keep ‘em coming!
So do you have any ideas for a daily prompt you might want me to use? I am always open for suggestions from you! Let me know in the comments sections below, or if your a bit more shy you can always email me a suggestion at
jlroeder (at) mail (dot) com
I’m always interested in what you have to say!
- Those Hokey Writing Prompts And Why I Need Them (kristineriddle.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: A Little Sneaky (brandonsmommyforever.wordpress.com)
- Sneaky (zainabjavid.wordpress.com)
- 157. It’s Somewhat Sneaky (kevindeisher.wordpress.com)
- Sneaky (hopethehappyhugger.wordpress.com)
- On Prompts & Writing (thetemenosjournal.com)
- Daily Prompts; Aren’t Perfect, That’s The Blogger’s Job (jitterygt.wordpress.com)
- Just a spoonful of prompting can make the writers pen note down, in the most delightful way! (tony1577.wordpress.com)
- Nothing wrong with a little nudge in the right direction (thoughtsofrkh.wordpress.com)