Blogging · Mi Vida Loca · nonfiction · postaday · Stories of my life · Uncategorized

The Obscene Phone Caller

*** I want to warn people,  there might be triggers in this post for rape and/or sexual assault.****

This post came about after I read Aussa’s post the other day on creepy feelings of being watched. Her post brought this memory back on when I was freshly married and young. It’s a true story and something I don’t usually think about.  I’m not going to tell you to enjoy, because it’s not enjoyable. But please read! Has anything like this happened to you? If so how did you handle it?



source unknown
source unknown



I had just seen L* off to work. He was going to be gone a week and I was looking forward to some time to myself. I was newly married, less than six months into what would be a 13 year nightmare. But at this time I was young, naïve and in love. Even then the marriage was showing small rips in the contentment fabric.

My husband worked in the Texas oil field. A booming (at the time) era full of opportunities. We moved from North Texas to South Texas looking for our golden dream. We found a small apartment in a new rambling complex in Victoria, Texas. We had all our belongings in a small UHaul, plus our ‘babies’, two German Shepherds. A boy named Max and his daughter Angel.

L*  was a born salesman. When we rented the apartment, it had a policy of small pets only. Now Max was 160 lbs of pure muscle and attitude, Angel was smaller, only tipping the scales at 100 lbs. She was devoted to her daddy. They were our pride and joy, so L* talked the manager into letting us keep the dogs.

The first couple of months were pleasant, I took the dogs running in a large field behind the apartment a couple times a day. They were quiet in the apartment and we had no complaints. Things were going rather well with L* working one week and then being off the next week. I was looking for work, but was ok with staying home too. L* was making good money working on the off shore rigs. We were young and the world was open to us, or so I thought at the time.

About 2 months into our living there the phone calls started. I remember the first one, it’s still so clear in my mind, even after all these years. L* had just left for another week off shore. I was cleaning the kitchen, the dogs laying in the living room. This was a time before cell phones and caller ID. The phone rang and I didn’t think anything of it. I picked it up and said ‘hello?’.  A very pleasant male voice answered, ‘Hi! I’m looking for Mrs. Jones.’

‘I’m sorry, you must have the wrong number.’

‘Can I ask you another question?’ Said the same pleasant voice.


‘Do you shave your pussy?’ He asked without changing his tone one bit. Like he was asking about the weather!

I was shocked into silence. I had never had an obscene phone call before. Once my heart started beating again, I hung up the phone amid his laughter.

I was a bit shaken, but not scared…….. Yet. That was the beginning of a couple of months of hell for me.

When L* called me that night, I told him about the phone call. He told me it was nothing, probably someone just dialing random numbers till a woman answered. So I pushed it out of my mind and went about my life.

All was quiet for about 2 weeks. L* had come home for his week off, then the first day he went back to work it started. L* wasn’t gone ten minutes when the phone rang. I answered.


‘I love the blue blouse you have on today. (I did indeed have a blue blouse on) How about I come over now that your old man is gone and take it off you?’

Then, before I could hang up, he started describing all the things he would do to me. Disgusting! I was shaken, but again, not really scared, as I figured it would just be that one phone call again and then nothing. I did recognize the voice as the same one as before, but was more shaken that he knew what I was wearing and that L had gone to work.

I made sure the door was locked. But living with 2 large dogs that were very protective, I wasn’t afraid. So when the phone rang again about half an hour later, I answered.

The same smiling voice was on the other end.

‘I want to f*** you till you beg for mercy.’ He started out with this time. I hung up. That’s when the phone would start ringing and not quit! After about the 30th ring I finally turned the ringer off. Silence never sounded so good! It had shaken me, I checked to make sure all the blinds were closed and curtains pulled close. I went to bed that night, but didn’t sleep well.

The next morning I turned the ringer back on and jumped as it immediately rang! Cautiously, I answered and was relieved when L’s voice came through instead of that pleasant chilling voice of last night. But my relief only lasted moments as L chewed my ass out for not answering the phone earlier. It was my first taste of his controlling ways. He would call me every night and every morning that he was at work and grill me about my day. But that’s a story for another time.

I told L about the phone calls, but he said I was over re-acting and to leave the ringer on in case he called again. He didn’t want NOT to be able to contact me. So I left the ringer on. Big mistake.

After L hung up I took the dogs for their morning run. It was a sunny day and I felt safe with my two dogs, but I was aware of my surroundings like I had never been before. I didn’t notice anything unusual, so I played with the dogs for a while, then went back to the apartment. I wasn’t in the door 2 minutes before the phone rang. I answered.

What came through the phone was a long litany of things the caller wanted to do to me. I hung up, my breathing ragged with fear. The dogs felt it and stood by my side. I went to sit down and the phone rang again. I let it ring, and ring, and ring. It wouldn’t stop! Then I thought, what if it was L again? So I answered.

The same pleasant-sounding voice was there, telling me how he was going to f*** me and then how he was  going to enjoy doing all the nasty things he started to describe in detail to me. I think what was so chilling, the timbre of his voice never changed throughout the whole 2 months of him describing abusive sex acts and then toward the end, how he was gong to kill me after raping me. It was always that pleasant, cheerful voice.

He never called while L was home. But 10 minutes after L would leave for his week at work the phone would ring. I knew it had to be someone at the apartment complex. But who?

It got so bad I wouldn’t leave without one of the dogs with me.  I’d always leave one dog in the apartment so no one could break in and wait for me. The caller knew I had the dogs as he would tell me how he was going to poison  them to get to me.

L finally believed me when I lost a lot of weight, was constantly on edge. I had changed the number twice, but that only gave me a days respite before it would start again.

We moved, after we talked to the police and there was nothing they could do unless I actually got raped. Nice, eh? When the police came to the apartment to talk to me, I was sitting with both dogs in front of me and a.38 special on the table next to me. The cop looked at the gun, looked at me and asked me if I knew how to shoot it. I said yes I did. All he said afterwards was, when you shoot him, make sure he’s in the apartment and shoot to kill, that way it’s deemed self-defense.

The calls stopped when we moved, after I changed the number once again. It was something I would not wish any woman to go through. Creepy is a mild way to describe it.




24 thoughts on “The Obscene Phone Caller

  1. I’m sorry you had to deal with this. My ex kept calling and calling when I left in 1997 and even with phone records I didn’t have many options then, and that was even knowing the person. Hopefully things are a little better today in terms of trying to end these things sooner than later.


    1. Thanks J! It was a long time ago. I went through worse with the then hubby. Well with caller ID and lots of different laws now I’m hoping things would be better. But one never knows.


  2. Yikes. I’m sorry you went through this. Someone would do this while I babysat for a family. I always chalked it up to the bitch who wanted my job. Then my ex fiance started and it was terrifying. Brrr.


  3. This would have been terrifying for you, Jackie. I’m really glad you had the two Shepherds – they would have ripped someone to pieces if they touched you (I know because I’ve had Shepherds), but it would also be terrifying knowing this person wanted to poison them. I’m so glad you got out of there. Where the hell do people get off doing this kind of shit? It’s so disturbing! I’m sure you wouldn’t have been his first victim or his last and I really hope he was caught xxx


  4. Oh that’s awful and terrifying! It wouldn’t be as bad if it hadn’t been obvious that he was watching you. Having the dogs was obviously comforting, but not 100% so! Shame L wasn’t more supportive about it right from the start. Good that it all stopped when you moved away. When I was about 9 there was a man who used to phone me sometimes when I got home from school and suggest obscene things, I mostly didn’t understand what the things were, but just knew it was bad, and I remembered the words and understood when I got older! It always took me a long time to hang up because I had been taught to be polite and didn’t want to be rude by just hanging up, so I’d try and get the conversation to end by saying I had to go and hoping he’d accept that. I never had reason to think that he knew where I lived or anything though thankfully. He knew how old I was too because he asked me the first time! Sicko.


  5. That’s awful. I’m glad it didn’t come to you having to kill the bastard. I’m sure you would have if the creep showed up, if the dogs had not chewed him up first. But he was a coward, after all and fortunately, a little man with a big voice. Damn, so sorry you had so suffer through this nightmare.


  6. Oh Jackie. No wonder you can write such terrific thrillers. There are nuts out there everywhere. I’ve been frightened like that before. I can’t give you details because my mind blocks it. I’m glad it finally stopped without the gun. I know how to use one too. I was told also to make sure they were inside and if not, drag them in after I fired. What a world we live in. I sure hope it’s better but there are still a lot of women dealing with what you have. None should.


    1. I’m sorry you went through something like that too. There are a lot of sick people out there. I think now with caller ID and the new kind of phones it doesn’t happen as often. But, now with the internet you still have sick people who prey on women. I don’t think it will ever stop. That’s sad isn’t it?


  7. I remember getting calls too. Where I lived the Police station was practically in my back yard so that gave some false comfort, and we had a dog, no German Shepard mind you, but a mid sized dog that had a mouth, so, you know, he could bite if he felt like it. I remember being advised to say into the phone “this is the call officer, track it” and hang up. Strangely enough, that worked.


    1. I wish someone would have given me that advice, it might not have went on as long as it did. Glad it stopped it for you. Thanks for stopping in and commenting Julie.


  8. Oh my gosh, Jackie. My jaw dropped at the blue blouse comment. This is absolutely horrifying– to know that it was someone watching you, aware of you. That sets me on fire. People who get off on causing others fear deserve a sharp kick in the baby maker. I’m glad you were able to move away from there, and that the coward never did anything more.


  9. Jackie, you have been through so much. An obscene phone caller is one thing, this was a stalker who tormented you through the phone. I sure hope your life has calmed down and you haven’t had any more of these experiences since.


    1. That was the only phone caller like that I’ve ever had thank goodness. Yes, my life has become very quiet in my old age lol. Thank you Lois.


  10. More than creep terrifying. My sister and I had a similar incident when I was staying with my brother. The guy said he could see us and knew we were by ourselves. Someone was coming up the steps and my sister and I had knives ready to defend ourselves. It was a glass door and I saw it was one of my brother’s friends. He stayed with us until my brother came home. Never got anymore calls. This was in the 70’s again before cell, caller ID, answering machines or cordless phone. Glad you didn’t get physically hurt.


  11. I had a few calls many years ago but they were not quite as bad or as detailed as yours. I was told to blow a whistle into the phone as loud as I could. I kept a whistle hanging beside the phone for years, used it a few times and it actually worked the calls stopped. I am glad that awful man did not ever come to you or our apartment. Hugs


Comments are closed.