Hello people! Hope that you had a great NYE and are not too hung over. I don’t drink, so I’m good. I couldn’t even stay up till midnight last night. I’m getting old, I tell you.
I’m not a person who makes New Year’s resolutions. Why set myself up for failure? I do make goals for myself, though. Goals I try to achieve throughout the year.
2014 was a terrible year for me. I’m glad it’s gone and a new one beginning. So instead of looking back, I’m going to look forward. Forward to a better year, reaching some of my goals, and making good inroads with other goals. I may not succeed in accomplishing everything I set for myself and that’s ok. I haven’t failed, it’s just going to take a little longer to achieve what I want. That’s the nice thing about goals, if you don’t get them done within a certain period of time, you can just keep going till you do. No failure. I like that. A little kindness to myself never goes amiss.
So here is my top goals for 2015! May the New Year roll on in! Bring it!
1. Burn my damn mattress! My number one goal for this new year may sound strange to you, so let me explain. I have the bed from Hell. I do. It is the most uncomfortable thing going. Its springs are broken thanks to the bunch of guys that helped move us more than a year ago. They set my almost new mattress on the bottom of the pickup truck bed, placed a glass cupboard on it and strapped that thing down so hard it broke the springs in the mattress. It’s not even in the middle of the bed! I have one side that is like sleeping in a hole, the other side is higher up. If I lay on it, since it’s not quite half the mattress I slide down the slope into the hole. Not good for sleeping!
My number 1 goal for this year is to be able to afford a new mattress (though I have NO idea how I’m going to do this!). Then I am going to drag my old mattress into the yard, pour gasoline on it and set it on fire! I am going to laugh, and laugh, and laugh while the flames leap up into the sky!
2. Lose weight. Yes, I know just about everyone says this in the New Year. I usually don’t, because it’s sort of cliché. This year I’m breaking my own rule and adding this in as a goal. I’m not going to state numbers. I don’t even own a scale. Got rid of that thing years ago.
For health reasons (I’m a diabetic) I am setting one of my goals for losing weight. I have to, I need to, and dammit, I’m going to! Losing weight will help me get healthier. I will need this for when I drag my mattress through the house, into the yard and set it on fire! I will cackle like a crazy woman as I watch it burn! I will need to be healthier to do this.
3. Exercise more. Yes, it goes with losing weight. I sit in my comfy office chair in front of my trusty computer far too many hours a day. From morning to-night. I need to get off my butt and go take Sam for a walk or something. Only in warmer weather though, as walking the little guy in freezing ass weather is more torture for both of us than exercise. During the winter I will do something else. Maybe practice runs, dragging my mattress through the house so I can set it on fire and dance with wild abandon around the blaze!
4. Write more stories. I really let myself down this past year. I didn’t write as much as I wanted to. I have 3 novels in the works in different stages of completion. I need to finish at least one of these and start the hunt to get it published! I want to write more flash fiction, short stories and the like. I have no excuse for not doing so last year, except for maybe sleep deprivation from sleeping on the mattress from hell. Which I plan to burn this year. I will even write its eulogy. Then I will set it on fire and because I lost weight and am healthier I will jump up and down with glee as it watch it burn!
5. Read more blogs and comment more. I actually read quite a few blogs. Like everyone though I have favorites that I love to read everything they post. Most of the other blogs I read, but usually don’t comment. I’m actually pretty shy. (Ok, quit laughing!) I’m an introvert by nature and quiet. I lurk a lot. I need to stop that and engage in conversations. After all, it’s the polite thing to do. I will do this right after I burn my bed. I will light that sucker aflame and throw a bed burning party! Yes, I will. You just watch me!
Whew, so that’s the biggest goals I have for this bright, shiny, new year. I have several other personal ones, that I will keep to myself for now. A girl has to have some secrets.
As for the mattress burning party, you are all invited!! Maybe, I should start a Kickstarter thing, anyone who donates money toward a new comfy mattress will have a personal invite to the bed burning with cocktails and brunch with me, where we can watch it burn and laugh and laugh and laugh.
What do you think? Good idea? So who wants to donate for a good cause?? Anyone?