A Place of Refuge for Mind and Soul
Welcome to the first ever….Wednesday Whatever! I wanted to start something new on the blog this year. So I came up with this.
Wednesday Whatever will be blog posts on Wednesdays that will be about whatever I come up with. LOL Yeah, kind of silly. I decided 2016 will be the year of silly around here. I needed to seriously lighten up and thought writing about fun, silly, and maybe a few absurd things once a week would be fun. Well actually I have Silly Sundays too, but that’s just comics and memes, so I didn’t really count that.
So for today’s first edition of Wednesday Whatever! I, of course, came up with COFFEE!!! Or weird, awesome, strange facts about coffee. As many of you know it’s my favorite beverage. Let’s see what I found out searching the internet.
Coffee can help you become healthier!
Coffee contains lots of antioxidants. Which of course is a good thing. Coffee drinking helps fight chemicals in the body called “free radicals”. As a result, coffee drinkers are at a lower risk of diseases such as Parkinson’s Disease, Type II Diabetes, and Heart Disease. BUT….isn’t there always a but? But, just drinking coffee, of course, is not going to stop all these things from happening if you don’t have moderation in eating red meat, drinking alcohol, or smoking.
Caffeine is actually crystals!
The buzz you feel after drinking coffee is actually from ingesting tiny 0.0016-inch crystals of caffeine. Zoom! Zoom!
Coffee Had Been Banned in the Past!
It’s true! Coffee has been banned at least three times in the past that I could find. Mecca in the 16th century, by Charles the second in Europe in 1675 and Fredrick the Great in Germany in 1677. Oh my! I bet people still drank it when they could get away with it.
Coffee Was Made into Energy Bars!
Way before energy bars was even a thing, they were a thing. Ethiopian Oromo nomads made energy bars out of crushed coffee beans and animal fat in the first Millenium. Here we thought we invented it!
Who Drinks the Most Coffee in the World?
According to my research…Finland does! Go Finland!
Even Bach Got in the Coffee Groove!
Johan Sebastian Bach wrote a comic opera about a woman who was addicted to coffee in the 1730’s.
There is a lot of Coffee Drinkers Out There!
The world consumes close to 1.6 Billion cups of coffee every day! You would think with that much coffee swirling around, people would be much more calm than they are.
Are you a coffee drinker, too?
I do hope everyone was prepared to start the first full week of January. No? Oh, oh. Better luck next week.
I thought I would do my first Monday Meeting of the new year. So, shall we get it started?
I hope everyone’s Christmas and New Year’s was wonderful. It was quiet around here. Which is nice as the husband and I seem to be on the move a lot. Mostly doctor visits and hospitals stays and such. So having a nice quiet holiday was nice.
As an update on the husband and his cancer situation. He did have one-third of his colon taken out along with the cancerous tumor. He was in the hospital for seven days. It was a little touchy as during the operation he started to bleed out. He had to have a blood transfusion. But, now he’s healed up nicely.
His doctor did determine that the cancer cells did penetrate the outside of his colon so he will need chemo therapy. We went on New Year’s eve to talk to them and they put him on chemo. He takes it in pill form at home. Which is a good thing. The dose is relatively low so the side effects should be minimal if there are any. He’s been taking them for four days now with nothing happening as far as side effects are concerned. So, we are keeping our fingers crossed.
We don’t know how long he will be on chemo. I’m hoping we find out with our next visit. His attitude is pretty positive, which should help a lot. So good news in that department.
On the book front. I am writing again! Yay, me! I’m working on the third in the series of the DeeDee Watson, PI, series. In many ways, it is going to be a fun book. After all Dee and the gang are on a cruise ship. They should have some fun. Of course, with Dee, nothing is ‘normal’. Even on a cruise ship. There is a dead body, Dee’s mother, and a few surprises in store for Dee in the book. And…..Fedora and her heat things up a bit between them! 😉
It’s still a mystery book though, not a romance. But hey, why can’t there be a touch of romance mixed in, right?
As for this blog. It’s staying pretty much the same. A little of this, a little of that. I do want to write a few short stories. I’m even thinking of doing one that is ‘reader-driven’. I need to work out a few more details with that. But, I do believe it would be a lot of fun for all of us!
I might even do a bit more poetry! Yeah, I’m getting brave….ha! And as most of you saw yesterday, I’m bringing back Silly Sunday. That’s where I post silly comics, meme’s or whatever else I can find for you to lighten up things a bit.
I want to thank everyone for continuing to read, comment and send good thoughts my way on this blog. I hope you stick around for this year, too. We’ll see what we can get ourselves into.
That’s about it for this Monday Meeting.
How was your holidays? Anything you want to see me do on this blog? Let me know!
Today, I thought I would bring back something I did for a while last year…..Silly Sunday! That’s where I post silly, funny and off the wall comics for your laughing pleasure. I’m thinking of making this a regular feature this year.
So, with that in mind, if you want to contribute a funny drop me a line via my contact page and let me know! I’ll post your funny comic, meme, joke or whatever on a Silly Sunday and of course, give you credit for it. So email me with your funny stuff. Thank you.
Here is today’s Silly Sunday stuff.
Happy New Year, People!
As my post title says…I am so glad 2015 is over with and gone. Whew, that was a damn hard year. Not to be repeated, please. A good friend of mine did a post yesterday, not about resolutions, but about leaving things behind in the new year. As I don’t do resolutions either, I thought it was such a good idea that I stole it. Yes, I did. I’m not sorry either.
She’ll forgive me I’m sure.
So I’m going to make a list of things I’m going to leave behind in 2015. Good riddance and hello 2016!
2. I need to leave behind procrastination. I’m an expert at it. Getting better every day. I really need to stop that and just get stuff done. There is so much I want to do. Like, write more books. A big highlight last year was publishing my two books. (You can buy them from Amazon, just click on the books on my sidebar!) I have been working on a third book in the series but it’s been slow going. I also have an idea about another book, something different I want to try. I’m hoping to do that too this new year.
3. Financial issues. Yeah, like that is going to happen. I’m nothing if not optimistic. Last year really sucked as far as the finances were concerned. I need to work on a better budget and work on generating more income for us. This is always a worry. I want to worry less and produce more. Just not too sure how I’m going to do that.
4. I want to leave behind my insecurities about my writing. I received a wonderful email from someone a few days ago. They had just finished reading The Canine Caper and loved it. They told me they hoped I kept on writing. That was a wonderful email to receive from someone I didn’t know. Obviously, some people enjoy my writing, so I need to quit doubting myself and just write!
5. Thinking my siblings are going to change their attitude toward me. Yeah, I really need to give that up as they aren’t going to change. It’s been too many years of me wishing things were different and things staying the same, or getting worse. I have no idea why I’m considered the black sheep of the family, but hey, I’ll take it. I always did like being different. I have my friends. Even if some are faraway, they are more like family than my family. Just goes to show, blood does not always make a difference.
6. I need to leave behind any heartache. Yes, I’ve had my fair share of heartache the past year. Not going into details, but lets just say family is not the only reason I hurt inside sometimes. I get foolish dreams once in a while. Expectations that can’t be met….of myself and others. Through no fault of theirs. I let my guard down and then expect things to happen that don’t and wham! Hurt feelings. I’m letting that go.
7. Adulting. Yes, you read that right! I’m leaving adulting behind. Frick it. I hate being an adult sometimes. Just kidding! Well, maybe I won’t leave it ALL behind. Just some of it. I need to have more fun. Really, I do. I’m way too serious most times. I need some fun and frolicking in my life. Anyone want to frolic with me?
I’m leaving it at seven. I like the number seven. You know what I won’t be leaving behind? YOU!
Yes, I promise not to leave you behind. So come join me this year. Let’s have some fun! Let’s party! Let’s be friends……You guys are great and thank you for sticking with me this past year. Thank you for helping me when it was so very difficult for me to ask for help. Thank you for being readers, commentors, big-hearted people and most of all, thank you for being who you are.
There were some of you that truly were friends. You let me whine to you, cry on your shoulder, share my worries, help me buy a mattress so I could get some much-needed sleep, bought my books and helped me make those same books a reality. I love you guys. Now let’s get going on 2016!!
Latter-Day Saint Dad Who Has Stories to Share
I don't sugarcoat anything, I'm not Willy Wonka
A case of chronic dichotomy
The Fifth Corner of Life
Colleen Hoover Professional Make Believer