Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance
What are your earliest and fondest memories of dance?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us MOVEMENT.
Ah, dance. I love to dance, always have. I think I came by it honestly through my parents. They both love music and I remember when I was very young watching my mom and dad dance the ‘Big Apple’ or the ‘Jitterbug’. They would be dancing and laughing and having such fun! Those were the dances of their youth and they loved them.
I remember having a small record player when I was a kid. I would play actual vinyl records! I know I’m aging myself, but that’s ok. To this day I love vinyl records, 45’s, albums, for a while I even had some really old 78’s. (If you are too young to remember what they were or looked like, google them! Ha-ha)
When I was a kid, I would make up my own dance moves to my records. I’d work on them for weeks till I got it down just right. I would never sing though, because even back then, I knew my voice was not made for singing! I knew the songs by heart though, and my dance steps. And the rare times I knew no one was about I would try singing them along with doing my dancing. But I would never sing in front of anyone.
My parents loved to have me do my little dance routines in front of company. I think those were the only times I wasn’t shy! I would set my record player up and strut my stuff. The adults would clap and laugh and ask for more! I was in my element.
As I grew older I was taught how to waltz by my dad. We’d go out as a family to the bar and crank the jukebox up and my dad would waltz with me around the pool table. Those were fun times!
When I moved to Texas, of course I learned how to Texas Two-Step. Me and a girlfriend would go to a place in Ft Worth where they had a huge dance floor. We’d buy our first drink and sit at a table and it didn’t take long for both of us to be asked to dance.
I remember the first time a cowboy type asked me to dance. I warned him that I had never danced the two step and he was risking his fancy cowboy boots to my feet. He didn’t mind, he said, and off we went. He slowly showed me the basics and within minutes we were going around that old oak dance floor like we had been dancing together for years. Those were fun days back then. He never failed to ask me to dance every time my girlfriend and I went there.
I still love to dance, even though I rarely do anymore. But sometimes I crank up the music in the house and just go for it! My dog Sam is barking and chasing me and the cats look at me like I’ve lost my mind, but I laugh and just keep twirling! Sometimes, life is good.
- WordPress daily prompt: Let’s Dance | I solemnly swear i am upto no good!
- Solace | Prose of the Frequently Amused
- Dance On! | Life Confusions
- Daily Prompt: Being a Dancer! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Daily Prompt: An Ode to Dancing Memories | melanielynngriffin
- Broken Dreams? | Tale of Two Tomatoes
- DP: Let’s Dance – As the End Draws Near | aliabbasali
- DANCING PAINTED PONIES | SERENDIPITY
- Happy 30th Birthday, Daddy! | Beez Giftz
- Dance on and on and on and on | Emotional Fitness
- In the Mood | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Movement | The Land Slide Photography
- Memories of Dancing | Flowers and Breezes
- Daring to Dance in the Early Days | This Is Real Life
- Make them laugh | Life is great
- I Love You All! | Views Splash!
- Yellow Shirts and the Hokey-Pokey | …Then Came Dance
- Dancing in the Kitchen | Monica’s Musings
- Daily Prompt: Dance | Different Isn’t Wrong, It’s Just Different
- Daily Prompt: Let’s Dance | kimmcnulty
- Dancing with Dreams | snapshotsofawanderingheart
- I’ve Danced and Once! | Views Splash!
- Chubby Cheeks & Chubby Checker | bemuzin
- On the Road to Regionals… Literally! | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- Alley Cat | The Zombies Ate My Brains
- Daily Prompt: Doing the Hustle | Morrighan’s Muse
- Dance to the rhythm in your heart | sunny side dreamers
- Dance: Daily Post | Destino
- Dance your Dreams Out | Nerd.Laugh.Love
- Dance Dance Baybee!! | My pitter patter wordfaLL 🙂
- Feb Photo Challenge 27 | Queenie